Think about the last time you called a business and were put on hold. Dead air can make a 30-second wait feel like forever. The majority of callers will hang up if they feel like they’ve been on hold too long, and many of them will never call back.
On-hold messaging is a great way to decrease caller hang-up by entertaining callers and making their wait feel much shorter. It’s also a creative way to inform and educate callers. Many of your customers aren’t aware of the variety of products or services you offer. On-hold messaging provides an easy marketing opportunity to target customers or prospects that have already shown interest by calling your business.
Here are a few ways to get the most out of your on-hold messaging:
- Inform callers about upcoming sales or promotions.
- Advertise tradeshows, open houses, and other events.
- Educate callers about new products and services.
- Highlight industry resources and other helpful websites, articles, etc.
- Provide fun facts and intriguing trivia questions and answers to get the listener thinking.
- Remind callers about upcoming holidays and important events.
While nobody likes getting put on hold, well-produced messaging can keep your callers entertained and informed while they wait.