Managing a steady stream of email may seem like a daunting task, but keeping on top of it can be a reward in itself.
Here are some pointers on how to keep your inbox empty:
• Declutter by deleting spam and other emails that have no importance.
• Respond immediately to emails that require a minute or less to complete.
• If an email requires action and you don’t have time to respond immediately, “flag” it. For example, red requires a timely response, orange can wait for a couple of days, and green can be for non-urgent items.
• Move important emails into clearly labeled archive folders.
• Add emails that need an extensive response to your daily to-do list.
• If the message requires someone else’s action, immediately forward to that person.
• Commit to replying to email every day. At the very least, respond that you are very busy but will be in contact again shortly.